Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fender Standard Stratocaster


The Fender Stratocaster was invented in 1954.  The standard model is made in Mexico, just across the border from the California facility.  The picture above is of a standard model with a rosewood fretboard.  It has three single coil pickups, a vintage tremolo, and a five way pickup switch.  It has a double cut-away body and is one of the most common electric guitars in the world.  The model that I own has a maple fretboard and a custom mother-of-pearl pick guard.  I soon intend to replace the stock pickups with Fender Hot Noiseless pickups from the Fender Custom Shop.  It comes with 21 medium frets, which is less than most other guitars.  I don't find this to be a handicap, though, because I rarely need more than 21 frets during my normal playing/practicing.  The Fender has a long list of dedicated fans including Eric Clapton, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dave Murray, Buddy Guy, etc.  All of these players are truly excellent, and lend quite a bit of street credibility to the Strat.  The neck is smooth and quick, while being incredibly comfortable.  The body was also designed to be exceptionally comfortable, and it succeeds.  I've found it to be quite durable over a period of about 10 years, and it has required very little maintenance.  The only time I need to make any adjustments are when I change the gauge of strings I'm using.  It sounds great clean, and is perfect for some light bluesy distortion.  I use mine primarily for blues and clean tones in the studio, but it has the versatility to play everything from jazz to pop to metal.  Highly recommended for lovers of shimmering clean tones, versatility, and reliability.

2 comments: