Sunday, June 5, 2011

DOD FX69B Grunge Distortion Pedal

The DOD FX69B Grunge pedal is a distortion pedal that sounds exactly like what the name implies.  It has relatively thick distortion that sounds great for leads or heavily distorted rhythms (especially power chords and palm muting).  The Grunge control adjusts the gain, and the other controls are fairly self explanatory.  The built in EQ has enough range that one can get a few different tones.  It doesn't have a mid range control, so you can't get heavily scooped metal tones, but you can set it up for heavy bass or nice trebled solo tones.  Turning down the gain doesn't clean up the distortion very much, so this pedal is pretty much all or nothing.  Unfortunately, DOD is out of business.  Finding an original one is a little tough, but you can buy a new one with the exact same circuit from DigiTech.  This pedal is also moddable, but I find that it gives me the tones that I like without any changes.  I prefer to use it when I'm playing through smaller low wattage amps.  I find that's where it really shines.  It does sound good through my 100 watt Fender Roc Pro 1000, but can overdrive the speaker at high volumes.  Highly recommended for fans of thick distortion, heavy palm muted rhythms, and grungy music.

2 comments:

  1. For the record, the DigiTech version has an additional output that emulates a speaker cabinet. I'm not a fan, but I own an original DOD.

    ReplyDelete