Sunday, July 3, 2011

Washburn BT-2

The Washburn BT-2 was the first guitar I ever owned.  It has two humbuckers with a three position pickup switch, and a single volume and tone control.  It is pretty basic.  The neck is a two piece bolt-on affair, and is thin and fast.  There are 22 medium frets, meaning that chording is very easy.  The neck is very flat and thin, so arpeggios and solos are a breeze.  Bending on higher frets can be difficult due the size of the frets, but it is by no means impossible.  The stock pickups are shockingly good for a guitar in this price range.  They are loud, hot and clear.  They get all of the subtleties of your playing and have very high output without being muddy.  When you switch on the distortion, this guitar really shines.  Distortion really brings out the character of the guitar, whether it is light bluesy distortion or heavy metal distortion.  It is smooth and clear while being thick and very full.  In the studio, I can use this guitar to lay down a track without doubling and it sounds fantastic.  Doubling the track only makes it better.  My BT-2 currently has hybrid .09-.46 strings.  The light strings are a perfect match to the guitar.  I've been playing this guitar for more than 12 years, and it really is a great piece of gear.  Sadly this guitar is no longer produced.  There are, however, several excellent Washburn guitars still available.  I don't think there are any true entry level guitars from Washburn anymore, but they still make excellent guitars.  If you can find one, this guitar is highly recommended for beginners and experts, fans of simplicity, and fans of light, thin, fast necks.

19 comments:

  1. Also, this guitar is light and comfortable thanks to a small contoured body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this old guitar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guitar sounds clear great sound

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guitar sounds clear great sound

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was my first electric guitar too and I sadly set it go during the ignorance of my youth. Been wanting to find another one ever since

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I just bought one for 40 bucks it’s in great shape lol

      Delete
  8. I got one in sunburst finish. Plays like a dream. Moving so I'm selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got one in sunburst finish. Plays like a dream. Moving so I'm selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had the same one since 1997 its still my go to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had the same one since 1997 its still my go to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found one at a pawn shop for $50. Very nice cherry sunburst. Grover tuners sold me. Very light easy and fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just bought one for $30 ... it needed some TLC so I cleaned it up and put some new sings on it .... had to adjust pickup heights but after that this guitarsmokes !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bought one as a"fun/party" guitar...wrong by me! Use it to everything!!!! Fast,slick,great tone,ready to go,not much adjustment needed.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bought one in 1975 at the factoryshop.still owm it, lovely small guitar

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great little surprise love it.

    ReplyDelete